Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Whole 30

Months ago, my good friend Jen started the Whole 30 with success, then moved into a Paleo lifestyle.  She's had wonderful success, has lost weight and has found herself in the middle of an active life change for the good. 

It's inspiring to see something work. 

So at the beginning of January I decided to follow in her footsteps and give it a try. 

I read the book It Starts with Food, multiple times.   
I'm a Monday, start of the month, start of the year type of changer. 
Lots of Mondays past before I could give it a good effort.
As in all the Mondays of October, November & December.

But, I'm glad that I did finally leap.    

I've not had any sugar, grains, legumes (beans), dairy or processed crap for 30 days. 
I didn't go crazy.
I do feel better.
My skin is already looking better.
I've lost 11 lbs.
I feel like doing things and have had fewer TV days. 
Paleo seams like a good life choice. 

Things I've learned....
Cauliflower can make a decent rice and a good pizza crust.
Eggs.  The simple food powerhouse.
Chicken and Apple sausages are my new go to food.
Broccoli gets a bad wrap. 
Cooking full meals, planned ahead, always taste better.
Cherry Pie LaraBars are my new go to treat (dates, cashews and cherries)
Olives make me happy.
Cracklin' Chicken is beyond yummy.  
Roasted garlic solves flavor issues.

It's not without a fight within my own brain.
Daily.

Candy is still very appealing and will always be a struggle.
A soda sounds like heaven in a can.
I still don't really like vegetables.
I miss my morning coffee with chemical creamer, like a lot.
Tacos are sad without cheese. (and yummy corn tortillas)  
Flavored teas sounded like a good idea, but are kinda gross. 

To move forward, I'm looking to follow a Paleo "diet".
(Speaking of diet in the way to describe my daily food, not a temporary change)

I need to embrace the fact that to be successful I have to cook ahead. 
Veggies.  Yep, gonna eat more of the nasty things.  
Bacon will be a happy addition to my life.  Wrap all the things in bacon!
Cheese is missed and will be added again, in small doses, not daily. 
I will probably have a bean or two as well. 
Olive Oil Mayo needs to be made, so that other sauces can be consumed. 
Veggies.


Also on the list is to make myself move more.  Hopefully moving back to a run. 

So I'm going forth, eating lots of good food for a health.  

No comments: